Lem Satterfield

Ishe Smith, Mickey Bey look to move forward on Friday

LAS VEGAS — Former IBF junior middleweight titleholder Ishe Smith weighed 154 to 153.4 for rival Ryan Davis in advance of Friday's main event at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino on a Golden Boy Live! show on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Deportes. The card will be broadcast the night before Floyd Mayweather Jr. defends his RING and WBC welterweight championships against WBA counterpart Marcos Maidana at the MGM Grand on Showtime Pay-Per-View.

The 35-year-old Smith (25-6, 11 KOs) was last in action in September, when he lost his belt by split-decision to Chicago's Carlos Molina.

The 35-year-old Davis, who is 10 days older than Smith, replaced southpaw Erislandy Lara, who pulled out of the bout to fight Saul Alvarez on July 12 at the MGM Grand.

Davis (24-13-3, 9 KOs) has lost four consecutive fights, three of them by stoppage, and was last in action for a unanimous decision loss to Andy Kolle in March.

Smith said it is critical for him to rebound impressively against Davis.

"It was tough losing to Molina. It was hard because it wasn't physically what he did but more what I didn't do and for probably the first time in my career, I felt over-trained. A lot of guys say that they were over-trained. It was the first time where I felt like I wanted to do things and I couldn't do those things after being in camp for eight weeks and training extremely hard and then coming back another six-to-eight weeks," said Smith, who is promoted by Mayweather Promotions, whose CEO is Leonard Ellerbe.

"But my hat's off to [Molina] because nobody wanted to fight him. I stepped up to the plate and said, ‘Gimme Molina.’ Coming back, I told Leonard and Floyd that I wanted to fight the best and I was supposed to fight Lara but he chose to fight ‘Canelo.’ Can’t blame him but now I have to bounce back. [Molina] was able to come out and do what nobody had ever done that day, which was to beat me. But coming back, I am excited to fight Ryan Davis at the Hard Rock."

The broadcast will also include lightweight star Mickey Bey (19-1-1, 10 KOs) against Mexican veteran Alan Herrera (32-5, 21 KOs), as well as Jesus Cuellar (23-1, 18 KOs) opposite former featherweight titleholder Rico Ramos (23-3, 12 KOs). Bey and Herrera weighed 133 and 135, respectively, and Cuelllar and Ramos, 125 and 125.2

Bey, who turns 31 in June, was last in the ring for December's third-round stoppage of Carlos Cardenas to rebound from a 10th-round knockout loss to John Molina last July.

"I beat myself against Molina. That was a minor mistake on my end. I got a little wreckless for 30 seconds when I had the fight won, 10-to-zip. Again, I like pleasing the crowd but on that night, I did a little bit too much," said Bey.

"So Floyd just told me to do like he does, which is when you're winning the fight and you've got it in the bag, the last-minute people can't complain if you dance around, especially against a puncher like Molina who is a bigger guy that is a puncher. I definitely learned from that, which just made it worse for anybody else I fight."

Herrera lost his last fight by unanimous decision to Omar Estrella in August, ending a six-fight winning streak that had included four knockouts.

Cuellar has won six straight, four by knockout, since being stopped in the seventh round by Oscar Escandon in October 2011. Cuellar unanimously decisioned previously unbeaten Claudio Marrero in his last fight in August while Ramos will be after his third consecutive win, having last been in action for January's unanimous decision over Jonathan Arrellano.

Around the web