Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Argenis Mendez-Rances Barthelemy II on July 10

The rematch between IBF junior lightweight titleholder Argenis Mendez and Rances Barthelemy will be fought on July 10 at The Convention Center in Miami, IBF Championships Chairman Lindsay Tucker informed RingTV.com on Monday.

Promoter and former undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson's Iron Mike Productions out-bid Warriors Boxing, $260,000-to-$251,000 on April 15 for the right to promote the retrun bout.

The return fight became necessary after Mendez's controversial second-round knockout loss to Barthelemy in January in Minneapolis was overturned and ruled a "no-decision" by the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry, restoring Mendez as the IBF's junior lightweight titleholder.

"Mendez, the champion, gets 75 percent of the purse bid, and Barthelemy gets 25 percent of the bid," said Tucker in an earlier interview with RingTV.com, meaning that Mendez (21-2-1, 11 knockouts), who is promoted by Tyson, will pocket $195,000 compared to $65,000 for Barthelemy (19-0, 12 KOs), who is handled by Leon Margules of Warriors Boxing.

Although Barthelemy had dropped Mendez once prior to the stoppage, the knockout appeared to be the result of a punch that landed after the bell ending the second round. A flattened Mendez was counted out by referee Peter Podgorski officially at the mark of 2:59.

"Once their fight was ruled a no-decision, then everything went back to the way that it was before the fight," said Tucker of the clash of 27-year-olds, "meaning, Mendez is the champion, and Barthelemy was the mandatory challenger."

Tucker also announced the IBF's approval of a bout matching Michael Farenas (38-4-4, 30 KOs) against Mark Davis (18-0, 5KOs) as a 130-pound eliminator for the No. 2 position in its ratings. Tucker said the fight is scheduled for July 2, and it is set for the Foxwoods Casino in Mashantucket, Connectucut.

Since Barthelemy is the IBF's mandatory, the winner between Farenas and Davis — fighting for the No. 2 spot — will have to face the No. 3-rated boxer, which, as of Monday, was Argentina's Fernando Saucedo (51-5-3, 7 KOs).

Saucedo has won 13 consecutive fights, six of them by stoppage, heading into a May 21 fight with Stephen Smith (18-1, 11 KOs), winner of six straight fights, five of them by knockout, including the past three.

"Saucedo is the No. 3 right now," said Tucker. "But I don't know that he will be the No. 3 come July the once the fight is over between Farenas and Davis. Somebody else might be."

FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR.-MARCOS MAIDANA AIRS ON SHOWTIME'S FREE PREVIEW WEEKEND SATURDAY

Last weekend's majority decision by RING and WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. for Marcos Maidana's WBA belt on Showtime Pay Per View will be rebroadcast at 9:30 p.m. ET/PT as part of Showtwime's freeview preview weekend to 74 million households, the network announced on Monday.
 

Click here who wins Floyd Mayweather Jr. versus Marcos Maidana?


Also part of the Mayweather-Maidana telecast will be Amir Khan's unanimous decicion over southpaw Luis Collazo in a clash of former titleholders during which Khan scored three knockdowns in his 147-pound debut.
 

IBF TO HONOR WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO, BERNARD HOPKINS, GOLDEN BOY THIS MONTH

The IBF has announced that it will honor RING/IBF/WBA/WBO heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko, super middleweight Carl Froch and junior flyweight Johnriel Casimero as its three, longest-reigning titleholders at its 31st annual convention and dinner on May 21 at Resorts Casino Hotel in Atlantic City.

Also to be honored is light heavyweight beltholder Bernard Hopkins with The Jersey Joe Walcott Award — the organization's highest honor. Hopkins twice became boxing's oldest man to win a significant title, doing so at the age of 46 and 48.

Hopkins, who turned 49 in January, became the eldest fighter to unifiy titles with last month's split-decision victory over Beibut Shumenov that added the WBA title to the IBF version he already owned.

Also to be showcased is Golden Boy as Most Active Promoter, and Comeback Fighter of The Year Felix Sturm, who scored two knockdowns during a second-round stoppage that dethroned Darren Barker for the IBF middleweight belt in December.

 

Around the web