Floyd Mayweather Jr. will return to the ring on Sept. 13, Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe confirmed on Monday.
Mayweather (46-0, 26 knockouts) is coming off a majority decision over Marcos Maidana on May 3 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas that sold 15,718 tickets and drew a live gate of $15,024,400, which ranks fourth all-time in Nevada history, according the Nevada State Athletic Committee's website.
Maidana represented the third fight of a six-bout deal Showtime has with Mayweather, who turned 37 in February and traditionally competes in May and September — the two Mexican holidays, Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence Day.
In the aftermath of his triumph over Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs), Mayweather mentioned the potential for a rematch, one that would make sense given that another candidate, Amir Khan, an English-born Muslim fighter of Pakistani descent, has stated that Ramadan would prohibit him from fighting on Mayweather's traditional September date.
On the undercard of Mayweather-Maidana, Khan — who has already beaten Maidana — unanimously decisioned southpaw Luis Callazo in a clash of former titleholders.
Other potential candidates might include RING/WBA/WBC junior welterweight champion Danny Garcia, IBF welterweight titleholder Shawn Porter, hard-hitting 147-pound boxer-puncher Keith Thurman, and perhaps RING No. 1-rated 140-pounder Lucas Matthysse. Like Mayweather, all of the above fighters are part of the Golden Boy promotional stable as well as the Al Haymon managerial/advisement stable.
Although Mayweather Jr. eschewed Barclays Center in favor of his ninth straight appearance at the MGM Grand against Maidana, Ellerbe told RingTV.com in an earlier interview that the home of the NBA's Brooklyn Nets still has at least three more fights within which to land THE RING's No. 1-ranked pound-for-pound fighter.
Mayweather fought at the MGM for the 12th time, overarall, against Maidana despite what Barclays Center CEO Brett Yormark characterized as the "most unprecedented offer that's ever been made outside of Las Vegas."
"Barclays Center made a tremendous offer, and there were other offers too that were very, very good that I can not divulge. But they made a tremendous offer. They stepped up, but the MGM stepped up, too," said Ellerbe during an interview with RingTV.com last month. "It's about comfort level, but, also, at the end of the day, it comes down to them dollars. You can't spend conversation. It just comes down to making these decisions on what's best for you and your family, and your career."
The success of the live gate for Mayweather-Maidana was predicted by Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer four days prior to their fight, whose gate rates, in order, behind Mayweather's majority decision over Canelo Alvarez in September at $20,003,150.00, Mayweather's split decision victory over Oscar De la Hoya in May 2007 at $18,419,200.00, and Lennox Lewis' unanimous decision over Evander Holyfield in November 1999 at $16,860,300.00.
The victory over Maidana added Maidana's WBA welterweight title to the RING and WBC championships Mayweather already owned. Mayweather's remaining three fights with Showtime means he is scheduled to end his career in the fall of 2015. Prior to facing Maidana, Mayweather mentioned the possibility of "walking away," although most believe that is unlikely.
Last September, Mayweather dethroned Alvarez for the RING and WBC 154-pound championships in a bout that became the highest-grossing boxing event of all time with nearly $150 million in revenue reported. Mayweather earned a career-high guaranteed purse of $41.5 million against Alvarez.
Mayweather is surely bound for the Hall of Fame, having won eight title belts over five divisions. He is not only the sports’ highest paid boxer, but also, the highest paid athlete over the past three years, having parlayed that into a successful promotional company named for him.
Mayweather pocketed a guaranteed $32 million purse against $1.5 for Maidana, according to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, the same as he made in his unanimous decision victories over Miguel Cotto and Robert Guerrero in May of 2012 and May of 2013, respectively.