RING and WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez said that his power and intelligence will be the difference against three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto when they meet on June 7 at New York's Madison Square Garden on HBO Pay Per View.
The 33-year-old Cotto (38-4, 31 knockouts) has vowed that "history will be made" against Martinez (51-2-2, 28 KOs) at Madison Square Garden, which Cotto calls his "second home." That's where Cotto will move up to the middleweight division for the first time in an attempt to become the first Puerto Rican fighter to win a fourth title in as many different weight classes.
"Of course I realize that Miguel does not have the same power at this weight that he had at 147, but I am the one that has the power in this case. I am the power-puncher of the two of us," said Martinez of Cotto, who has fought at junior middleweight since 2010.
"But the most important fact in this fight is going to be the intelligence that I am going to be able to use in this fight. I think it will be a great fight for the fans, very good for boxing fans. It will be a fight that, when I start to find my rhythm, my timing and the right distance, the fight will be over."
A veteran southpaw who turned 39 in February, Martinez will have been out of the ring since April of last year, when he rose from an eighth-round knockdown to unanimously decision Martin Murray in Buenos Aires.
Although Cotto is 9-1 with five knockouts in New York, and 7-1 with four stoppage at The Garden, Martinez has said that he will score a knockout during or before the ninth round.