Lem Satterfield

Miguel Cotto says he’s ready for war versus Sergio Martinez

Although RING and WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez has vowed to knock out three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto in their fight on June 7, Cotto said he is prepared for "12 rounds of war."

Cotto (38-4, 31 knockouts) will challenge Martinez (51-2-2, 28 KOs) on HBO Pay Per View at Madision Square Garden in New York City, where the confident Puerto Rican star is 7-1 with four knockouts.

"I train for 12 hard rounds," said the 33-year-old veteran, who is coming off a third-round knockout of Delvin Rodriguez in October that helped him to bounce back from consecutive unanimous-decision losses to Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Austin Trout in May and December 2012, respectively.

"I train for 12 rounds of war. If he only trains for seven or eight, he is going to be in trouble after that, because I am prepared to go the whole distance and to do whatever it takes to win."

A southpaw from Argentina now living in Spain, Martinez will fight at a contracted catchweight of 159 pounds against Cotto, who is moving up to become the first Puerto Rican fighter to win a fourth title in as many different weight classes after having fought at junior middleweight since 2010.

Martinez, 39, will have been out of the ring since April of last year, when he unanimously decisioned Martin Murray in Buenos Aires. Martinez has risen from the canvas during each of his past three fights comprised of an 11th-round stoppage of Matthew Macklin and unanimous decision victories over Murray and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.

Martinez is 7-0, with four knockouts since falling by majority decision to Paul Williams in December 2009, having avenged that loss by stopping Williams in the second round in November 2010.

Around the web