Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Roberto Duran to attend Aug. 9 Nevada Hall of Fame event

nvbhof-new-logo-635

 

 

Four-division champion Roberto Duran, known as "Manos de Piedra" or "Hands of Stone," has confirmed he will attend the Nevada Boxing Hall of Fame inductions on August 9 at the Cohiba Ballroom of the New Tropicana Las Vegas, founder Rich Marotta has announced.

Duran (103-16, 70 knockouts), who turns 63 on June 16, will be inducted along with former heavyweight champions Evander Holyfield and George Foreman.

"It's an honor and a true privilege," said Duran, reached in Panama, "to be inducted into the Nevada Hall of Fame with great boxing legends like Mr. Foreman and Mr. Holyfield."

Among Duran's greatest comeback achievements was an eighth-round stoppage of Davey Moore at Madison Square Garden in New York on Duran's 33rd birthday on June 16, 1983.

Moore had won nine straight, all by knockout, and was 12-0 coming into the fourth defense of his WBA junior middleweight ititle belt. Among his victories had been a stoppage of former beltholder Ayub Kalule, whose only previous loss had been by stoppage against Sugar Ray Leonard.

Duran was after his third straight win after having already lost to Leonard in the “No Mas” fight as well as to Wilfred Benitez and unheralded Kirkland Laing.

Ring announcer Michael Buffer ranked Duran's victory over Moore among his top 10 most memorable fights during an interview with RingTV.com.

 

Click here for Roberto Duran TKO 8 Davey Moore, June 16, 1983, Madison Square Garden.

“That was a fight that was won by the underdog, Roberto Duran, who had been on a slide during a career that was taking a nosedive. I had never been to a weigh-in before but it seemed like a thousand Panamanians showed up with their flags in support of Duran at the weigh-in,” said Buffer.

“The place sold out. It was the first sellout since Muhammad Ali-Joe Frazier there. Duran landed nearly every punch in that eighth round and I mean, Davey Moore was done. The crowd was electric. But what made that night even greater for me, personally, was that it was the first big so-called ‘Super Fight’ that I had done.”

Also among this year's 18 inductees, in the Nevada "Resident" category are late former heavyweight champion Sonny Liston, whose biggest bout in Las Vegas was his first-round knockout of Floyd Patterson, and ex-lightweight beltholder Cornelius Boza-Edwards, who fought a variety of high-action battles in Nevada.

In the "Adoptive Nevada Resident" category, former heavyweight champ Joe Louis, who lived the last several years of his life in Las Vegas, was chosen. The "Pioneer Boxers" were Jack Dempsey and Archie Moore.

"We were gratified by the success of our inaugural induction last year with overwhelming support by inductees, boxers and the entire boxing community. Fans showed up in huge numbers and the event was sold out well in advance," said Marotta.

"This year, at the New Tropicana Las Vegas, we will have a beautiful venue with an even bigger capacity. We have a wonderful class of inductees and it's time again to bring the Nevada boxing community together."

Media inductees will be broadcaster Colonel Bob Sheridan, now approaching his 1,000th world title fight called on on television, and Kevin Iole, longtime beat writer for the Las Vegas Review Journal and now with Yahoo! Sports.

Trainer Miguel Diaz will be inducted in the "Non-Boxer Participant" class and referees now retired-Richard Steele and the active Kenny Bayless will enter the Hall of Fame. From the world of promotions, Top Rank Promotions matchmaker Bruce Trampler was elected and in the "Executive" class, two longtime contributors to the Nevada Athletic Commission in Chuck Minker and Luther Mack are new entrants.

Inducted in the "Special Contributors" Category will be hotel executives Clifford Perlman and Steve Wynn. Perlman ushered in the era of big fights at Caesars Palace and Wynn opened his Mirage with Sugar Ray Leonard's unanimous decision over Roberto Duran in their third fight, followed by Holyfield's third-round knockout of Buster Douglas.

 

'ALL ACCESS: CANELO VS. LARA' TO AIR ON JUNE 27

Showtime will air the first of two episodes of All Access on June 27 at 9 p.m., ET/PT in advance of the July 12 clash between junior middleweights Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (43-1-1, 31 KOs) of Mexico and southpaw Erislandy Lara (19-1-2, 12 KOs) of Cuba that will be hosted at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the network announced on Tuesday.

Click here for the video clip of All-Access: Canelo vs. Lara Episode I

Narrated by Emmy Award-winning actor, Barry Pepper, episode one of All Access: Canelo vs. Lara will be immediately followed by a ShoBox: The New Generation tripleheader headlined by Errol Spence Jr. vs. Ronald Cruz in a 10-round welterweight matchup.

Episode one will take viewers on private jets and on stage at each press conference during the boxers' four-city kickoff press tour with cameras joining Lara at his home in Houston to meet his family and visiting Alvarez in San Diego as the fighters enter training camp.

The second episode of All Access will premiere on July 9 at 9 p.m., ET/PT, three days before Alvarez and Lara enter the ring against one another.

Alvarez's last fight was a 10th-round stoppage of Alfredo Angulo in March that helped him rebound from a majority decision loss to Floyd Mayweather Jr. last September.

Prior to facing Mayweather, Alvarez unanimously decisioned previously unbeaten southpaw Austin Trout, flooring him in the seventh round of their bout in April 2012 that drew nearly 40,000 to the Alamodome in San Antonio.

In Lara, Alvarez faces a fighter whose past two wins were a 10th-round stoppage of Angulo, during which Lara was floored once each in the fourth and ninth rounds last June, and a unanimous decision over Trout, whom he dropped in the 11th round in December.

Around the web