The IBF has ordered a June 24 purse bid for junior middleweight titleholder Carlos Molina and mandatory challenger Cornelius Bundrage, whose sides could not come to an agreement through negotiations by the organization's deadline, which was Monday, IBF Championships Chairman Lindsay Tucker informed RingTV.com.
The winner of the purse bid has 90 days to make Molina-Bundrage happen, said Tucker.
"For Molina-Bundrage, the deadline was up yesterday," said Tucker. "So a letter is going to go out today calling for a purse bid for Molina-Bundrage on June 24. The winner has 90 days to put on the fight as of June 24, which is Sept. 24."
Molina's promoter, Leon Margules, told RingTV.com on Tuesday that he has made several unsuccessful attempts to reach a deal Bundrage's advisor, Bill Waller, on behalf of the fighter.
"I'm talking to Bill Waller, he's their representative, but I've tried to pin him down, saying, 'Do you want to go to purse bid or do you want to make a deal?'" said Margules.
"He hasn't made me an offer. I've made him an offer, but he's never responded. I don't know what their plans are…I'm sure that [the IBF's] going to send the letter out today, but I have not received it, yet."
Waller told RingTV.com that his reluctance to negotiate with Margules had to do with his assertion that Margules could not guarantee that Molina, who is not a citizen of the United States, could "show up for the fight" if it happened on American soil. That, in turn, said Waller, interferred with his ability to generate state-side investors.
Of the minimum purse bid of $100,000, the IBF mandates a 75 percent-to-25 split, meaning Molina would get $75,000 compared to $25,000 for Bundrage.
"I like Leon and we did talk about two or three times during the past couple of weeks, and he called me yesterday, and I called him back after I left a meeting. But because I'm in Las Vegas, and he's in Florida, I got his voice mail, and I apologized that I didn't reach him," said Waller, who said that he realizes that the fight could wind up being in Mexico.
"The last time that I spoke to Leon, he did indeed make a financial offer toward the Warrior champ, K-9, and I told him that I wanted to counter and give him an offer if he could guarantee that Molina could show up for the fight. I have interested people who would like to participate in a purse bid, but the very first question that I asked is, if I get someone to participate, 'Can you guarnatee that Molina will show up?'"
Last month, the "a majority vote" of the IBF's board denied a request by the Molina's handlers for an exception to face unbeaten Jermall Charlo instead of ex-beltholder Bundrage. Tucker said, at the time, that the parties had until June 9 to reach an agreement before the purse bid was ordered, and the likely Sept. 24 date of the fight, mandated.
After two months of incarceration, the 31-year-old Molina (22-5-2, 6 knockouts) was released earlier this month, signed with powerful advisor Al Haymon, and was training in Mexico City for what Margules hoped would be "a big fight" in July, either against the 24-year-old Charlo (18-0, 14 KOs) or the 41-year-old Bundrage (33-5, 19 KOs).
Molina was arrested in Las Vegas on March 4, just four days before he was to defend against Charlo, for a 2007 warrant in Wisconsin for failing to register as a sex offender in that state. A Mexican citizen who also had immigration issues that prevented him from staying in the U.S., Molina won his belt by dethroning Ishe Smith last September.
Margules still is attempting to sort out the immigration issues for Molina, originally from Michoacán, Mexico. Whether or not Molina can defend his title on American soil "totally depends on what the court decides," said Margules in an earlier interview with RingTV.com.
"We're working on it," said Margules on Tuesday. "The fight could be in Mexico or the fight could be in the United States. We'll see what happens."
In other news, Tucker said that a purse bid has been called for June 3 for a defense by IBF welterweight titleholder Shawn Porter (24-0-1, 15 KOs) against mandatory challenger Kell Brook (32-0, 22 KOs) if their respective promoters, Golden Boy and Matchroom Sport, can not reach an agreement for a summer bout.
IBF President Daryl Peoples told RingTV.com in an earlier interview that Porter and Golden Boy were granted an exception to make an April 19 clash with ex-titleholder Paulie Malignaggi, whom Porter had cut and bloodied beneath the left eye with the first jab he landed, ultimately dropping him twice in the final round of a fourth-round stoppage victory.
Brook, who turned 28 on May 3, has won four straight by knockout and was last in the ring for April's eighth-round stoppage of Alvaro Robles. Prior to Robles, Brook floored Vyascheslav Senchenko twice en route to a fourth-round stoppage in October.