On Saturday, junior featherweight Cristian Mijares will face Sebastian Rodriguez with a junior bantamweight co-feature between Jose Salgado and Oscar Blanquet on Televisa and Fox Deportes from the Hotel Grand Oasis in Cancun, Mexico, Golden Boy Promotions announced on Thursday.
A former IBF/WBA/WBC junior bantamweight beltholder, Mijares (49-8-2, 24 knockouts), 32, was last in action for a unanimous decision loss to Leo Santa Cruz in a failed bid to earn the WBC junior featherweight title in March.
The 30-year-old Rodriguez (20-6-1, 7 KOs) is coming off last month's fourth-round stoppage of Orlando Javier Maciel, representing his third win over the course of his past four fights.
Salgado, 25, is 6-0-1, with three knockouts in his past seven fights and coming off a unanimous decision over Javier Armando Rodriguez in November.
Blanquet, 29, has lost three consecutive fights, being stopped in the second round by Roman Gonzalez in his last bout in November.
The card will also have a non-televised matchup between Adan Mares, younger brother of three-division titlist Abner Mares, opposite Alfonso Torres in a junior lightweight fight.
RICKY BURNS 'WILL STOP' DEJAN ZLATICANIN, SAYS LUKE CAMPBELL
Former WBO lightweight titleholder Ricky Burns has "fire in his belly" and "will stop" undefeated southpaw Dejan Zlaticanin of Montenegro when he returns to action on June 27 against at Glasgow, Scotland's Braehead Arena, according to 135-pound prospect Luke Campbell.
In advance of his bout against Zlaticanin (18-0, 13 KOs) that will be televised live on Sky Sports, Burns (36-3-1, 11 KOs) has been sparring with Campbell, a 2012 Olympic gold medal winner, among others.
"It has been great sparring with Ricky; he's a class act and he's a gentleman, so if I can help him out in any way, I will. Sparring is an important part of training; you always learn in it and the day you stop learning is the day to retire. I can only learn off Ricky," said Campbell of Burns, who is promoted by Matchroom Sport and working with a new trainer in Tony Sims.
"He's been in with elite level and come out victorious. So if I can learn anything from him, which I am doing, it’s great, valuable training for me. Ricky is looking great. He's looking fast, strong, ready for it. He’s always game, he's that type of fighter. He just loves to fight and I think he will stop Zlaticanin."
Burns turned 31 in April, a month after having been dethroned as WBO beltholder by unbeaten Terence Crawford via unanimous decision at Scottish Exhibition Centre in Glasgow.
Having successfully defended his lightweight title four times, Burns was back at the site where he fought to a controversial draw against Raymundo Beltran last September. Burns' jaw was badly broken in the fight with Beltran, requiring the surgical implantation of titanium plates.
Under Sims, Burns has worked alongside former rival Kevin Mitchell, whom Burns stopped in the fourth round in September 2012, as well as unbeaten 22-year-old lightweight Martin Joseph Ward and Campbell.
"I feel that performance in the ring is all about happiness. Ricky is happy in the gym. He's happy with Tony. You can see that a mile off. He loves to fight and the Scottish fans love him," said Campbell.
"So I can't see why he won't come back on Friday week with that fire in his belly. He's made changes and sometimes fighters need that, so I think he'll put in a great performance next week."
The 30-year-old Zlaticanin has won four of his past six fights by knockout and was last in action for a first-round stoppage of Asan Yuseinov in August.
DIERRY JEAN REJUVENATED AS A LIGHTWEIGHT
Former title challenger Dierry Jean (26-1, 18 KOs) has renewed enthusiasm following last Friday's lightweight victory over Mario Perez (15-6-4, 9 KOs), against whom he scored an eighth-round technical knockout at Pierre-Charbonneau Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
In victory over Perez, Jean rebounded from a unanimous decision loss to Lamont Peterson in January in a failed bid to earn the IBFs junior welterweight title.
"I felt strong. It was a little tough getting down in weight but I can fight effectively at both weights. I didn't go down to lightweight because junior welterweights were too strong for me. I just took advantage of an opportunity to fight at lightweight," said Jean, 32.
"I'd like to fight any of the world lightweight champions. [WBC titleholder Omar] Figueroa is a good fighter. He’s strong and a good puncher. I’d like to fight him or the winner of Crawford and [Yuriorkis] Gamboa. They're both good boxers. I don't know who is going to win that fight but I think Gamboa."
Despite his loss to Peterson, Jean believes he is a better fighter for the expeierience.
"I gained experience and learned how to better control myself in and out of the ring. I know I can fight with world champions. I can be me, using my style of fighting," said Jean, who fought Peterson in the latter's native Washington, D.C.
"That's something I didn't do against Peterson because it was so stressful fighting for the first time in a world championship. Now, I've been through all of that and I will do much better the next time I'm in a world title fight."
Jean's promoter, Camille Estephan, also wants to see him in with the better lightweights.
"We want a title shot as soon as possible. Figueroa, the Crawford-Gamboa winner, [WBA titleholder Richar] Abril or [IBF beltholder Miguel] Vazquez – any one of them. Dierry was very impressive as a lightweight. His energy level was higher and he was strong," said Estephan.
"It was probably the first time he fought somebody the same size. He's always been fighting bigger guys as a junior welterweight. We feel that he'll be a monster at lightweight. He will crush anybody and we're certain he'll be as much of a force as a lightweight as he was as at 140 pounds. We're looking for big fights."