Carl Froch's promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Sport says he is "very keen" on matching the IBF super middleweight titleholder against ex-middleweight beltholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. late this year or in spring of 2015. Hearn spoke to RingTV.com on Tuesday.
Hearn's assertion comes after Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, who handles Chavez, informed RingTV.com that he is actively looking into Froch-Chavez for late October in Las Vegas.
Arum said he and Top Rank Vice President and matchmaker Carl Moretti had spoken to Hearn regarding the potential for a fight between Froch (33-2, 24 knockouts), who turns 37 on July 2, and Chavez (48-1-1, 32 KOs), who turned 28 in February.
"That's a fight that we're very keen to make. I've had some chats with Bob Arum and Top Rank over the last few weeks or so," said Hearn. "They'd like that fight for October, but Carl Froch is not going to be ready for that fight until the end of November or December, which would probably put that fight out for this year, wo we're looking at our options."
Arum's relationship with Chavez and the fighter's manager, Billy Keane had soured over their failed negotiations for a potential bout with unbeaten WBA middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin, but the 82-year-old promoter said that he was attempting to work with both in order to make the bout with Froch.
"If they want to make that fight in November or December, then we can make that happen, no problem," said Hearn. "If not, then we would have to make it happen probably in the spring."
Froch was last in the action on May 31, when he knocked out George Groves in the eighth round of their rematch. In November, Froch had to rise from a first-round knockdown to secure a disputed ninth-round stoppage over Groves.
Since falling to RING super middleweight champion Andre Ward by unanimous decision in their December 2011 bout for the RING, WBA and WBC belts, Froch has won five straight fights, four by knockout.
THE RING’s number one-rated 168-pounder, Froch first faced Groves after having earned a unanimous decision over ex-beltholder Mikkel Kessler in May of last year in a rematch of their April 2010 bout in which Kessler unanimously decisioned Froch as part of Showtime’s 'Super Six World Boxing Classic.'
Chavez was last in action for in March for a 168-pound unanimous decision over Bryan Vera in a rematch of Chavez's controversial unanimous decision win in September. Chavez's initial bout with Vera took place at a 173-pound catchweight because Chavez was unable to make the originally contracted 168-pound limit.
Prior to facing Vera, Chavez had scored a 12th-round knockdown during a unanimous decision loss to Sergio Martinez, who added Chavez's WBC middleweight title to THE RING championship Martinez already held.