Lem Satterfield

Lem’s latest: Porter-Brook tripleheader; Broner, Matthysse return

Photos by Scott Heavey (L) and Nicholas Kamm/Getty Images

Photos by Scott Heavey (L) and Nicholas Kamm/Getty Images

 

A defense by IBF welterweight titleholder Shawn Porter against Kell Brook will be supported by a rematch between WBC super middleweight titleholder Sakio Bika and Anthony Dirrell, as well as a defense by WBC lightweight beltholder Omar Figueroa Jr. against Daniel Estrada, according to Stephen Espinoza of Showtime. The event will take place on Aug. 16 at StubHub Center in Carson, Calif.

Espinoza also said that Adrien Broner and Lucas Matthysse could return to action on Sept. 6 at a site to be determined.

“Aug. 16 is confirmed. We were considering moving it, but we decided to leave it where it is,” said Espinoza. “Omar will open up, and then it will be Bika-Dirrell, and then Porter-Brook.”

Porter (24-0-1, 15 knockouts), 26, is coming off a fourth-round stoppage of two-division titlist Paulie Malignaggi in April, which followed his unanimous decision over Devon Alexander for the belt in December.

Brook (32-0, 22 KOs), 28, has scored four consecutive stoppage wins, including one in the fourth round over former titleholder Vyacheslav Senchenko, who retired Ricky Hatton with a ninth-round knockout in November 2012.

In December, Bika (32-5-3, 21 KOs), 35, battled to a draw with the switch-hitting Dirrell (26-0-1, 22 KOs), 29, with Bika having been dropped in the fifth round and penalized a point for a foul.

The 24-year-old Figueroa (23-0-1, 17 KOs) is coming off a split-decision win over Jerry Belmontes in April to defend the belt he won after flooring Nihito Arakawa twice during a unanimous decision victory in July. The only blemish on Figeroa’s record is a split draw with Arturo Quintero in November 2010.

The 29-year-old Estrada (32-2-1, 24 KOs) has won nine consecutive fights, including five by knockout. He also holds a win over Arakawa from November 2012, which came by tenth-round technical decision after Estrada was caught in the eye by an accidental elbow.

 

ADRIEN BRONER, LUCAS MATTHYSSE RETURNING SEPT. 6?

Broner and Matthysse could be back on Sept. 6 with the possibility of Jhonny Gonzalez getting back into action, also.

“We’re still coming into shape,” said Espinoza, when asked about the card being at the AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas. “The venue has not been decided yet, and it has not been decided that it will be in San Antonio. … Preliminarily, we’re thinking that it could be Broner and Matthysse in separate fights. Gonzalez may be there, but we’re not sure about the third fight.”

Having hinted at a return on that date on his Twitter account, Broner, 24, is coming off a unanimous decision over Carlos Molina in his 140-pound debut on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Marcos Maidana.

Broner (28-1, 22 KOs) bounced back from a unanimous-decision loss to Maidana in December, during which he was floored in the second and eighth rounds.

THE RING’s No. 7-ranked 140-pounder, Broner jumped two weight classes from 135 to face Maidana after already having earned title belts over three weight classes. Broner took the WBO’s junior lightweight belt by third round knockout over Vicente Rodriguez in November 2011 and the WBC’s lightweight title following an eighth-round stoppage of Antonio DeMarco in November 2012.

In June 2013, Broner rose to his 147-pound debut for a split-decision victory that dethroned Paulie Malignaggi for the division’s WBA belt.

In his last fight, Matthysse (35-3, 33 KOs) rose from two knockdowns to score three of his own on the way to an 11th-round knockout over John Molina.

THE RING’s No. 1-ranked junior welterweight, Matthysse had previously been in action last September when he was dropped in the 11th round of a unanimous decision loss to unbeaten RING 140-pound champion Danny Garcia.

Gonzalez (55-8, 47 KOs) won his belt with a shocking first-round knockout of previously unbeaten three-division titlewinner Abner Mares in August, and won his first defense by technical decision over Clive Atwell in April.

Daniel Ponce de Leon was the last man to defeat Gonzalez in an eighth-round technical decision in September 2012 that ended Gonzalez’s 12-fight winning streak, which included 11 knockouts.

 

WEIGHTS FROM SHELTON, WASHINGTON

Middleweights Mike Gavronski (14-0-1, 10 KOs) and Tureano Johnson (14-1, 10 KOs) weighed 159 and 160, respectively, on Thursday in advance of Friday’s bout at the Little Creek Casino Resort in Shelton, Wash., on “ESPN Friday Night Fights.”

Lightweights Art Hovhannisyan and Jonathan Maicelo were each at 134.5, lightweights Kenneth Sims Jr. and Evan Woolsey weighed 135 pounds each, and featherweight Eduardo Martinez and Lavale Wilson were at 126 and 125.5.

Below are the weights for the rest of the fighters on the card:

Jared Torgeson 201 vs Marquise Weston 194

Guillermo Delgadillo 135.5 vs Ricardo Maldonado 136

Shariff Woo Johnson 162 vs Fatlum Zhuta 157

Ariel Beck 129 vs Jennifer Hamann 130

Around the web

8 Responses to “Lem’s latest: Porter-Brook tripleheader; Broner, Matthysse return”

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>