Lem Satterfield

Adrien Broner, Lucas Matthysse, Andre Berto tripleheader

Adrien Broner (R) throws a right at Carlos Molina during their junior welterweight bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 3, 2014. Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images.

Adrien Broner (R) throws a right at Carlos Molina during their junior welterweight bout at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 3, 2014. Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images.

 

Adrien Broner, Lucas Matthysse and Andre Berto will appear in separate bouts of a tripleheader on Sept. 6 in Broner’s hometown of Cincinnati, Golden Boy President Oscar De La Hoya confirmed to RingTV.com on Thursday.

Broner (28-1, 22 knockouts) will face Emmanuel Taylor (18-2, 12 KOs), Matthysse (35-3, 33 KOs) is being matched opposite Roberto Ortiz (31-0-1, 24 KOs) and Berto (28-3, 22 KOs) against an opponent to be determined.

“Broner vs Taylor and Matthysse vs Ortiz will be a night to remember. Both Taylor and Ortiz are fighters with nothing to lose and the world to gain.  This doubleheader represents what Golden Boy is all about – scintillating, action-packed fights that will get fans out of their seats and clamoring for more,” said Oscar De La Hoya, President of Golden Boy Promotions, in a release.

“Adrien Broner is a top-level talent who always elevates his game on the biggest stages, and there is never a bigger stage than in front of your hometown fans. But with speed, power and a golden opportunity, Emmanuel Taylor is a tough test. This is a life-changing fight for him, which makes him particularly dangerous. In the co-main event, one of the hardest punchers in the game, Lucas Matthysse, will also have to dig deep to win when he fights Mexico’s Roberto Ortiz. The winner of this fight should be right in line for a title shot in 2015.”

Broner, 24, is coming off a unanimous decision over Carlos Molina in his 140-pound debut on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s majority decision over Marcos Maidana in May.

In victory, Broner bounced back from a unanimous-decision loss to Maidana in December, during which he was floored in the second and eighth rounds.

THE RING’s No. 7-ranked 140-pounder, Broner jumped two weight classes from 135 to face Maidana after already having earned title belts over three weight classes.

“It’s always good to fight at home,” said Broner, who stopped Vicente Escobedo in the fifth round in July 2012 the last time he fought in Cincinnati. “It’s overdue. I will not disappoint my Cincinnati fans. I’ll make sure to put up a good show for them. Taylor is a young, talented fighter, but he’s not ready to solve this ‘Problem.’”

In his last fight, Taylor, 23, rose from an eighth-round knockdown to unanimously decision Karim Mayfield, helping him to rebound from a unanimous decision loss to current WBO junior welterweight beltholder Chris Algieri in February.

“This is the biggest fight of my career, and I won’t let it get away from me,” said Taylor. “All of those hours in the gym were for a moment like this, and I can’t wait to show the world what I can do in the ring.”

Matthysse rose from two knockdowns in April to score three of his own on the way to an 11th-round knockout over John Molina.

THE RING’s No. 1-ranked 140-pounder, Matthysse had previously been in action last September for a unanimous-decision loss to unbeaten RING champion Danny Garcia.

“I’ve heard that he’s a tough fighter, but I’m not worried about him. I just have to make sure I’m ready,” said Matthysse.

Ortiz, 28, has won two of his past three fights by knockout and was last in action for a fifth-round stoppage of Ramiro Alcaraz in April.

“I respect Lucas Matthysse and know how dangerous he is, but this is my time to make a statement, and I will on Sept.  6,” said Ortiz. “I see holes in his game, and I think I’m the better all-around fighter. The world will see that very soon.”

A two-time welterweight titlewinner who turns 30 on Sept. 5, Berto has lost three of his past four bouts, including the past two, and was last in action for a 12th-round stoppage loss to Jesus Soto Karass a year ago.

Berto had surgery in August to repair a ruptured subscapularis (under the shoulder blade) tendon that he suffered during the loss to Soto Karass. This followed surgery to repair a ruptured left biceps in February of 2012. 

Berto returned to training with Virgil Hunter in January after being cleared by doctors, and was able to begin sparring in March.

“It’s been a long time and I can’t wait to get back in the ring on September 6,” said Berto. “I feel stronger and better than ever, and I’m ready to make another run at the title. But first I have business to take care of in Cincinnati, and I’ll be looking for the knockout.”

 

Around the web