Sergio Martinez will attend the Sept. 13 Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Marcos Maidana rematch in Las Vegas before being examined by a New York-based orthopedist on Sept. 16 to determine his boxing future, advisor Sampson Lewkowicz informed RingTV.com on Thursday.
“Sergio will come to see Marcos Maidana and support him from ringside,” said Lewkowicz of Martinez, who, like Maidana, is a native of Argentina. “After that, he will go for the treatment and check-up with the New York doctor and make the decision whether or not to continue or to walk away.”
Martinez, 39, lost his RING middleweight championship and WBC belt to by 10th round stoppage to Miguel Cotto in June.
Martinez (51-3-2, 28 knockouts) will undergo a planned full battery of head-to-toe testing by Dr. Answorth Allen, who has served as the head team orthopedist for the New York Knicks since 2005.
Lewkowicz said he told Martinez during a long conversation “that I would follow his lead to continue boxing but with only one condition: that he needs to get a second opinion to determine that he is fit to fight.”
Prior to facing Cotto, Martinez had to rise from the canvas during each of his previous two unanimous decision victories over Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in September 2012 and Martin Murray in April 2013 while also having suffered knee injuries, among others, as a result of those bouts.
HASSAN N’DAM N’JIKAM-CURTIS STEVENS TO BE TELEVISED ON ESPN2
On Oct. 1, Curtis Stevens will face Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam in an IBF middleweight title eliminator at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica, Calif., on ESPN2, according to a release from the network.
RingTV.com had reported the news last month before the network had made its official decision.
N’Jikam’s promoter, Michael King of King Sports World out-bid Main Events on July 14 for the right to promote the bout, whose winner will be the mandatory challenger for IBF beltholder Sam Soliman. King outbid Main Events $80,000 to $62,000 and the purse will be split 60-40 in Stevens’ favor.
Stevens (27-4, 20 KOs) was last in action for a 10th round stoppage of Tureano Johnson in April, his second straight win since he was KO’ed in eight rounds by WBA beltholder Gennady Golovkin in November.
N’Jikam (30-1, 18 KOs) has won three consecutive fights since losing a unanimous decision to WBO titleholder Peter Quillin in October 2012.
DUSTY HERNANDEZ-HARRISON TO RETURN ON SEPT. 27
Welterweight Dusty Hernandez-Harrison (23-0, 12 KOs) will face Hector Munoz (23-13-1, 15 KOs) on Sept. 27 at the Constitution Hall in Hernandez-Harrison’s native Washington, D.C., according to his father and trainer, Buddy Harrison.
In his most recent fight last month, Hernandez-Harrison, 20, unanimously decisioned Wilfredo Acuna in the main arena at New York’s Madison Square Garden in support of WBA middleweight titleholder Gennady Golovkin’s third round stoppage over ex-beltholder Daniel Geale.
Hernandez-Harrison had previously been in action scoring a knockdown in each of the third and final rounds of a fourth round stoppage of Roberto Valenzuela in May.
Hernandez-Harrison’s victory over Acuna marked his second appearance at the Garden, having unanimously decisioned Josh Torres on the undercard of Golovkin’s eighth round stoppage of Curtis Stevens in the Theater last November.