Bob Arum said Julio Cesar Chavez could fight Brian Vera next, and eventually, Andre Ward.
Can Chavez-Alvarez happen next April?
Richard Schaefer aims to approach Bob Arum about the Mexican mega-fight.
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told RingTV.com that he plans to meet next week with Top Rank Inc.'s CEO Bob Arum regarding an all-Mexican clash of unbeatens between 25-year-old WBC middleweight titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and 21-year-old WBC junior middleweight beltholder Saul "Canelo" Alvarez with a target month of April.
Chavez (43-0-1, 30 KOs) suffered a hand injury last month that forced him to pull out of a defense against Ronald Hearns (26-2, 20 KOs) that was slated for Sept. 17, but still has a scheduled match up opposite Peter Manfredo Jr. (37-6, 20 KOs) on Nov. 19.
Alvarez (38-0-1, 28 knockouts) is coming off of this past Saturday's sixth-round knockout of Alfonso Gomez (23-5-1, 12 KOs).
"We met with Canelo's people, and they are looking at the possibility of fighting again in November or December," said Schaefer.
"Then, I am planning on getting together maybe next week with Bob and see where we stand on the potential fight between Canelo and Chavez, most likely for next April."
Last month, however, WBC Secretary General Mauricio Sulaiman told RingTV.com that should Chavez get beyond his match up with Manfredo, he would then have until the first quarter of 2012 to face RING titleholder Sergio Martinez (47-2-2, 26 KOs) ) or relinquish it.
"That is what the order is of the WBC. Sergio has a defense in October and then in November, and then the winners will have to fight each other," said Sulaiman.
"So, whenever that happens, they will have to fight in the first quarter of 2012. The order of the WBC is that they must fight each other next, unless Martinez agrees otherwise. Otherwise, the order is that they next fight."
The situation, said Sulaiman, will be further addressed during the WBC's Dec. 11-17 convention in Las Vegas.
Martinez was named the 2010 Fighter of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America, recognition for the fact that he dethroned Kelly Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs) in April as WBO and WBC middleweight champ by unanimous decision, and then scored November's second-round stoppage of southpaw three-time, two-division titleholder Paul Williams (39-2, 27 KOs).
The win over Williams avenged a majority decision loss during which both fighters were dropped in the first round in December of last year.
Martinez was declared the WBC's emeritus champion for going ahead with a defense against WBO junior middleweight beltholder Sergei Dzinziruk (37-1, 23 KOs), whom he dropped once each in the fourth and fifth rounds and three times in the eighth and last for the knockout in March.
With Martinez essentially being stripped, Germany's Sebastian Zbik (30-1, 10 KOs) was elevated to the status of champion and ordered to face Chavez, who dethroned him by majority decision in June.
"We have been told by Mauricio Sulaiman and Jose Sulaiman that Sergio will absolutely get a shot at the title against Chavez," Lewkowicz said last month, "or face the next available contender for the title."
Lem Satterfield can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org