Junior middleweight veteran James Kirkland shook out for the media in San Antonio at a recent media workout – that included mitts and medicine ball work – in advance of his anticipated May 9 stadium showdown with Canelo Alvarez in Houston.
Undefeated junior welterweight prospect Frankie Gomez has the full support of Golden Boy Promotions but is it enough to motivate “Pitbull” to victory over veteran Humberto Soto on May 9?
Mexican star Canelo Alvarez spoke with RingTV’s Dominic Verdin about his May 9 fight against James Kirkland, not getting Miguel Cotto into the ring, future middleweight matchups, such as a showdown with David Lemieux, and his thoughts on Mayweather-Pacquiao.
While junior middleweights Vanes Martirosyan and Jermell Charlo clash on Saturday, WBO titlist Demetrius Andrade is on the sidelines, seemingly watching everyone else gets their shot in the spotlight. Vladimir Lik recently sat down with “Boo Boo” to get his take on his career.
Tickets to the May 9 Canelo Alvarez-James Kirkland fight at Minute Maid Park in Houston go on sale Tuesday, March 3, Golden Boy Promotions announced on Wednesday. The junior middleweights will also host back-to-back public press conferences in Houston and San Antonio on March 3.
Fans share thoughts on Gennady Golovkin’s middleweight title defense against Martin Murray, the British challenger’s merits, and what should be next for GGG in this week’s Monday mailbag; plus rants on Danny Garcia, Billy Joe Saunders, a Tyson-Frazier mythical matchup, and an email from Dougie’s wife.
Fans from around the world share their thoughts on Rios-Alvarado III, the fallout of Cotto-Canelo, the prospect of Canelo-Kirkland, and the NBC/Spike TV/Haymon matchups of Garcia-Peterson, Thurman-Guerrero, Broner-Molina, Berto-Lopez, and Porter-Garcia in this week’s Friday mailbag. Enjoy!
A rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. is “probably the biggest fight out there” for Miguel Cotto if the Puerto Rican star’s talks failed to produce a May 2 bout against Canelo Alvarez. That’s what Cotto’s adviser, Gaby Penagaricano said during an interview with RingTV.com last month. “We’re interested. If we end up not fighting Canelo because […]
Canelo Alvarez will not fight Miguel Cotto on May 2, said Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter. De La Hoya said that Cotto had not accepted a “great” offer extended by Alvarez by last night, which Alvarez had set as a hard deadline.
According to Top Rank CEO Bob Arum, undefeated super middleweight contender Gilberto Ramirez has what it takes to surpass the popularity of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Canelo Alvarez.
Canelo Alvarez is adamant about fighting on May 2, according to Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya. Alvarez’s target is Miguel Cotto, but the Mexican star is willing to fight others if a deal can’t be reached with the RING middleweight champ.
Former junior middleweight champ Canelo Alvarez has challenged Miguel Cotto (in the form of a letter to Spanish-language media) to accept a May 2 fight against him, daring THE RING middleweight champ not “to duck a fighter who defeated his brother.”
Should a mega-bout between RING middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez not become a reality, there are other options, according to Cotto’s adviser.
In another benchmark moment of an already storied career, Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya has been named “Promoter of the Year” by Sports Illustrated.