Miguel Cotto expects to return to the ring in May or June against an opponent to be determined, the boxer’s adviser Gaby Penagaricano told RingTV.com on Tuesday. Penagaricano said Cotto’s next move won’t depend on the results of thr ongoing talks for a May 2 bout between Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr.
A rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. is “probably the biggest fight out there” for Miguel Cotto if the Puerto Rican star’s talks failed to produce a May 2 bout against Canelo Alvarez. That’s what Cotto’s adviser, Gaby Penagaricano said during an interview with RingTV.com last month. “We’re interested. If we end up not fighting Canelo […]
Should a mega-bout between RING middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez not become a reality, there are other options, according to Cotto’s adviser.
Sergio Martinez on defending his middleweight title against Miguel Cotto: “I’m very interested in the fight, but I’m the champion and Cotto is the challenger. I would love to fight Cotto, but I need to be treated with dignity.”
Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer said that he expects Canel Alvarez to make a decision regarding his next opponent potentially as early as next week, with Miguel Cotto being the young former champ’s desired rival.
Miguel Cotto is considering a confirmed package of at least $10 million from Golden Boy Promotions to face Canelo Alvarez, but a widely-reported offer of $15 million to fight middleweight champ Sergio Martinez is unconfirmed.
When Canelo Alvarez returns to action on March 8 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer hopes that his opponent will be Miguel Cotto.
Golden Boy Promotions has offered Miguel Cotto a deal worth in excess of $10 million to face Canelo Alvarez, according to CEO Richard Schaefer. Schaefer also discussed a possible rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. or title shots against Peter Quillin and Carlos Molina for Cotto.
Puerto Rican Orlando Cruz, who is gay, said “I’m going to make history” by defeating Mexican Orlando Salido for the WBO’s featherweight belt on Saturday.
Three-division titlewinner Miguel Cotto is expected to arrive in Las Vegas on Thursday to discuss potential future fights with Top Rank, which promoted last his one-sided third-round TKO of Delvin Rodriguez last Saturday.
Miguel Cotto has announced on his Twitter account that he will return to the ring under the Top Rank banner on Oct. 5 on HBO, reportedly against Delvin Rodriguez.