Fans from around the world share their thoughts on Rios-Alvarado III, the fallout of Cotto-Canelo, the prospect of Canelo-Kirkland, and the NBC/Spike TV/Haymon matchups of Garcia-Peterson, Thurman-Guerrero, Broner-Molina, Berto-Lopez, and Porter-Garcia in this week’s Friday mailbag. Enjoy!
A rematch with Floyd Mayweather Jr. is “probably the biggest fight out there” for Miguel Cotto if the Puerto Rican star’s talks failed to produce a May 2 bout against Canelo Alvarez. That’s what Cotto’s adviser, Gaby Penagaricano said during an interview with RingTV.com last month. “We’re interested. If we end up not fighting Canelo because […]
Canelo Alvarez will not fight Miguel Cotto on May 2, said Oscar De La Hoya, Alvarez’s promoter. De La Hoya said that Cotto had not accepted a “great” offer extended by Alvarez by last night, which Alvarez had set as a hard deadline.
Bill Emes spoke to Freddie Roach at the Jan. 9 “Throne Boxing” show in New York City where the hall-of-fame trainer worked the corner of Chris Van Heerden. Roach assessed Van Heerden’s performance and spoke about the talk on the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto-Canelo Alvarez super fights.
RingTV spoke to Gennady Golovkin and the middleweight crusher’s promoter Tom Loeffler at the recent Los Angeles press conference for GGG’s Feb. 21 WBA title defense against British contender Martin Murray. Golokin says he hopes score pay-per-view showdowns vs. Miguel Cotto and Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. in 2015.
Canelo Alvarez is adamant about fighting on May 2, according to Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya. Alvarez’s target is Miguel Cotto, but the Mexican star is willing to fight others if a deal can’t be reached with the RING middleweight champ.
Former junior middleweight champ Canelo Alvarez has challenged Miguel Cotto (in the form of a letter to Spanish-language media) to accept a May 2 fight against him, daring THE RING middleweight champ not “to duck a fighter who defeated his brother.”
Should a mega-bout between RING middleweight champion Miguel Cotto and Canelo Alvarez not become a reality, there are other options, according to Cotto’s adviser.
Fans share their thoughts on the prospect of Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto-Canelo Alvarez pay-per-view extravaganzas taking place in 2015, who might become boxing’s next PPV star, Oscar De La Hoya’s role as promoter, and other boxing subjects in this week’s Friday mailbag. Enjoy!
In Lem Satterfield’s latest notebook, we learn further details on the ongoing litigation between Golden Boy Promotions and All Star Boxing regarding an alleged contract breach involving Canelo Alvarez.
Having done the figurative dance with Floyd Mayweather Jr. before, Manny Pacquiao says he’s willing to see the undefeated pound-for-pounder get the money he wants to make their fight a reality.
Promoter Bob Arum said a potential fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao on May 2 — the same day on which Canelo Alvarez and Miguel want to fight — “is not going to happen” on that date. Mayweather announced during an interview on Showtime Friday that he “would love to fight Manny Pacquiao” on May 2. Alvarez and Cotto […]
Austin Trout will be rooting for RING middleweight champion Miguel Cotto against RING No. 1-rated junior middleweight if their May 2 clash comes off. Trout, who beat Cotto but lost to Alvarez, faces Luis Grajeda on ESPN2 on Thursday.
No. 1-rated junior middleweight Canelo Alvarez has agreed to terms for a May 2 bout against RING middleweight champion Miguel Cotto, Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya informed RingTV.com on Tuesday.
The HBO-televised David Lemieux-Gabriel Rosado middleweight fight on Saturday at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center isn’t a huge event but it should be a very good fight and could lead the winner to major showdowns against the stars of the 160-pound division.
If a fight between Canelo Alvarez and RING middleweight champion Miguel Cotto can’t be made, it won’t hurt WBA titlist Gennady Golovkin’s feelings. He’ll face either fighter.