Echoing the sentiments of many a fan and pundit, undefeated welterweight Keith Thurman says Al Haymon’s deal with NBC is a blessing and good for the sport.
Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar De La Hoya has reportedly settled a lawsuit with former company CEO Richard Schaefer and has also relinquished promotional rights to a number of Al Haymon-advised fighters, including Danny Garcia and Adrien Broner.
Fans share their thoughts on the prospect of Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto-Canelo Alvarez pay-per-view extravaganzas taking place in 2015, who might become boxing’s next PPV star, Oscar De La Hoya’s role as promoter, and other boxing subjects in this week’s Friday mailbag. Enjoy!
In the hopes of promoting the next heavyweight champion, Oscar De La Hoya is confident that undefeated Deontay Wilder will face WBC titlist Bermane Stiverne under the auspices of Golden Boy Promotions.
HBO is dusting off its star-making machine for Canelo Alvarez. The network did a good job with Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr. Now HBO is working hand-in-hand with De La Hoya and going to go head-to-head with Mayweather to establish the next star.
In Lem Satterfield’s latest notebook, former Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer insists he has no information regarding the current issues between Floyd Mayweather and Leonard Ellerbe.
Many in the boxing industry believed that former Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer “built” the company into one of the top major promotional firms. However, company president Oscar De La Hoya wants it to be known that it was more than Schaefer.
In Lem Satterfield’s latest notebook, we learn how Floyd Mayweather Jr. feels about Marcos Maidana’s skill in comparison to past opponents.
Though Floyd Mayweather and Leonard Ellerbe had been noncommittal about working with Golden Boy Promotions further than his Sept. 13 rematch against Marcos Maidana, Mayweather said Tuesday that he will continue working with Golden Boy Promotions in the future.
Oscar De La Hoya addressed several subjects during a Friday night interview with RingTV.com, including tonight’s Canelo-Lara showdown, taking the helm of Golden Boy Promotions in the wake of Richard Schaefer’s resignation, and promoting the Mayweather-Maidana rematch.
Fledgling promoter Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson spoke to RingTV.com about his star fighter Yuriorkis Gamboa’s challenge to lightweight beltholder Terence Crawford, SMS Promotions, his business falling out with Floyd Mayweather Jr. and concerns for his friend, the current state of boxing and his projects away from the sport.
Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya issued the following statement on Wednesday: “Golden Boy Promotions is moving ahead on all fronts. We look forward to continuing and expanding our key position in the boxing world and to providing the public with the very best the sport has to offer.”
Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Floyd Mayweather Jr.’s promotional company, told ESPN.com on Monday that Mayweather will “absolutely not” continue working with Golden Boy Promotions after Richard Schaefer announced his resignation from the company earlier in the day.
Showtime Sports’ Stephen Espinoza said Richard Schaefer’s resignation from Golden Boy Promotions will not effect the July 12 pay per view card headlined by the Canelo Alvarez-Erislandy Lara fight at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Should IBF welterweight titleholder Shawn Porter face his mandatory challenger Kell Brook in the summer, Porter’s father/trainer, Kenny believes his son will have every advantage over the undefeated Brit.
Gary Russell Jr. and Vasyl Lomachenko will meet for the WBO’s vacant 126-pound belt on a June 21 card at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., that also features former welterweight titleholders Robert Guerrero and Devon Alexander.